I took a lot of creative liberty with this photo. It was a very poor image to begin with, but I wanted a photo that I could create something out of. I’m kind of getting bored with just snapping photos every day. I was in the mood for a change today. After playing with this one in Corel Photo-Paint X4 for a little while, I was satisfied that I accomplished what I set out to do which was to simply create something that was more visually interesting than the original.
I’m afraid I didn’t write down my steps as I went, so I can’t post a full tutorial. As is most often the case, I opened up the image and made a variety of adjustments until it “felt” finished. I’ve often wondered how other artists go through this process, but my guess is that there really is no right or wrong way to do something as subjective as art.
A quick overview of what I did: I adjusted the brightness way up, nudged the contrast up a little, darkened the shadows slightly, and desaturated the color to a little less than half the original (-45, I think). After that, I took out a distracting leaf that was in the upper left hand corner using the clone tool and added a textured layer set at overlay. The original photo is below.
I hope the edited image conveys what I intended, dry weather. Let me know what you think in the comment section below. Constructive criticism is always welcomed!
We really could use some rain here. I’m no expert, but our very mild winter has been followed by a dryer than normal spring. The trees and plants are beginning to look parched for water!